Tuesday, February 9, 2010

D-link Router Into A Switch How To Use My Old Wireless Router As A Switch?

How to use my old wireless router as a switch? - d-link router into a switch

OK, I have recently built a new house and I had every room wired with CAT5.

In my office, I want more than one computer, but only a cat. I've learned that I am an "option to use, it must expand" principally to the central shots varied.

Question: I have an old D-Link wireless router.

Can I as a switch, and that as a side benefit, raising the WAP (Wireless Access Point WLAN) on my network? I think we should do is to have an Ethernet cable from my wall socket to a regular port on the back of the router (not the LAN port to run), then from the other 3 connections to other computers in my office at work.

So, I think I need to disable DHCP on the wireless router (my main router, right along with my cable modem should provide for the distribution of IP addresses in charge).

I also think we need to change the May sub-network router to the my main router from my cable modem downstream.

Is it good? All other indicators?

2 comments:

Tracy L said...

It's in the right direction.

You can probably do himself. You may need to assign a static address for dlink not allocated even from your other router. (Do not use an address in the DHCP scope of the primary router!) Thought you disable it, DHCP if the router allows, as only a bridge! You may find that you have any direction, for example, share the same subnet 192.168.1.10 and drawing as their primary router as the main gateway router DMZ! A part of this function to the involved routers, and how they work, etc. They are really on your main router to connect to the WAN port is as strong as the two routers talk to each other.

You can also configure a different set of network with another router. In this case, use the WAN port for Internet connection. Just configure a different IP address range of your office machine to use! If your primary system uses 192.168.1.x, then you can use to 192.168.10.x LAN area for each rank of the office LAN, and allow the management of DHCP. Netw isolateork of their other machines! If you are sure to use a different SSID for each router so that you know what you can wirelessly. (With channels at opposite ends and are available!)
I installed three in my house / office in this way. You have three different networks connected back to a main router!

Added:
I use all three routers on the same addictive place.all Back to the primary router!

Colinc said...

You must not exceed 2 routers on the same connection, which are in conflict. This speed causes loss of reliability and connectivity issues. You need to buy a wireless access point, if you switch wireless year if you want multiple computers want when you go wireless. In this case, only the AP and wireless cards are for each machine. Cheaper option is to change, they are very cheap.

Post a Comment